Skip to content

Of Death and Destruction

August 18, 2005

Further to this post, we have new developments which I think we all kinda suspected but our faith in the British police is always so strong. I guess people make ‘mistakes’ and people will die as a result. Will the officers involved in the killing of Jean Charles de Menezes be charged with murder? Should Sir Ian Blair be asked to resign as a result of his organization’s blunder? Will the Shoot-to-Kill policy be rescinded? All questions we will ask and will get answers to soon.

Manic makes the following point:

“The resignations should begin now… Blair, then Clarke, then Bliar. But they won’t. Because the stakes are too high. And we have to show faith in our leaders lest we give in to terrorism. And it was the terrorists who were really responsible for the killing. They created the conditions that contributed to the event, you know. And they’re all working together, yes they are.”

Also a string of around 400 explosions hit Bangladesh yesterday. 2 Dead. 150 injured. So terrorism strikes anywhere. What is interesting is that this will be seen as a great means for toppling the Government and not a means for uniting the nation. When are the people of the People’s Republic of Bangladesh going to show the politician what they represent? Rezwan has more on the impact of these explosions.

Advertisements

From → Uncategorized

4 Comments
  1. CBC reported 2 days ago that ITV says the guy was sitting on the train… not really running!

    http://www.cbc.ca/story/world/national/2005/08/16/
    Brazilian_shot_seated_on_subway_train20050816.html

    Reports: Man shot by London police was sitting on seat in subway train
    Last Updated Tue, 16 Aug 2005 19:14:48 EDT
    CBC News
    An innocent Brazilian man shot dead by British police who mistook him for a London bombing suspect had taken a seat on a subway train and was tackled by a police surveillance officer before being shot, according to an account of events broadcast Tuesday.

    British police had claimed that 27-year old electrician Jean Charles de Menezes didn’t obey an order to stop as they tailed him into London’s Stockwell underground train station a day after a series of bombs planted on London’s transit system failed to fully detonate.

    Menezes had emerged from a house that police had under surveillance, believing it was linked to the bombings.

    On Tuesday, Britain’s ITV news, citing security footage, said that Menezes entered the station at a normal walking pace, stopping to pick up a newspaper.

    The television station claimed that witness accounts, included in an investigation report into the shooting, said Menezes was seated on the train before being shot.

    A man sitting opposite Menezes is quoted as saying: "Within a few seconds I saw a man coming into the double doors to my left. He was pointing a small black handgun towards a person sitting opposite me. He pointed the gun at the right hand side of the man’s head. The gun was within 12 inches (30 centimetres) of the man’s head when the first shot was fired."

    A police surveillance officer described how he wrapped his arms around Menezes and pushed him down into a seat. "I grabbed the male in the denim jacket by wrapping both my arms around his torso, pinning his arms to his side. I then pushed him back on to the seat where he had been previously sitting . . . I then heard a gun shot very close to my left ear and was dragged away onto the floor of the carriage."

    The report obtained by ITV said while Menezes was shot eight times, a further three bullets were fired but missed. ITV said the documents came from an official investigation into his death.

    The Independent Police Complaints Commission, who have been charged with investigating the shooting, refused Tuesday to comment on the veracity of the documents. The IPCC said it would not speculate or release partial information about the investigation, and that others should not do so.

    London Metropolitan Police said they could not make any comment while the police complaints commission investigation was ongoing.

  2. Nazzina permalink

    18 August 2005

    EXCLUSIVE: TAKE HIM ALIVE

    Terrorism cop’s order minutes before Tube innocent was killed Met chief faces more outrage over his handling of the shooting
    By Jeff Edwards and Graham Brough

    THE police chief leading the anti-terror swoop that ended with the death of an innocent man had ordered him to be taken alive.

    Commander Cressida Dick’s instruction to "detain" – disclosed to the Mirror yesterday – came minutes before Jean Charles de Menezes, 27, was shot on the Tube on July 22.

    http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/tm_objectid=15869223%26method=full%26siteid=94762%26headline=exclusive%2d%2d58%2d%2dtake%2dhim%2dalive-name_page.html

  3. I’d take the Mirror’s sensationalist headlines with a pinch of salt. Cressida Dick’s job is on the line so she has to cover her butt. Let’s face it, Ian Blair is not likely to go so it will have to be a fall guy, however far down the chain it is.

  4. i agree with you!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: